Sunday, July 23, 2006

change keybindings of show desktop, Ctrl+Alt+d to Windows D

With each release of GNOME, I think it pulls further ahead of KDE. I’ve been using GNU/Linux for 5 years now, and I have seen GNOME destroy KDE in terms of usability, and now (finally) in terms of speed as well. I love the things you can configure with GNOME when you know what youre doing. Using GConf, you can go to “apps–>metacity–>global_keybindings” and edit the keybindings to whatever you want. Change “show_desktop” to “M” and you’re set (Mod4 is the Winblows key). You can further your Windows-esque interface by setting “panel_run_dialog” to “R” and making one of the run_commands “F” and editting the corresponding command to be “gnome-search-tool”. T is nice to run an xterm, and I like to set B and Z to be “xmms -f” and “-r” to control xmms skipping while its still minimized. I am excited for 2.8! One question, my mouse cursor has a shadow with transparency, why can’t my windows have shadows?

No comments: